I’m excited to announce that I have been nominated for the Liebster Award! The Liebster Award is an award given to and by new bloggers. It can only be awarded to those bloggers who have less than 200 followers. Blogging takes more time and work than many people realize (I know I was surprised by how much effort it requires!), and it’s an honor to be recognized. The Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to celebrate and encourage each other, and help spread the word about great new blogs!
Who Nominated Me?
I was nominated by Melissa from Life’s Epic Journey, and also by Jyneffer from Farming Momma! Thank you so much!! I have enjoyed following you both as you start out with blogging, and I know you have great things coming in the future!
Liebster Award Rules
So what are the rules for receiving the Liebster Award? Well, that’s a little hard to pin down! Multiple versions of the rules can be found online, but here is the set most commonly followed. Feel free to copy and paste!
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you choose to accept it, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. Write 150-300 words about your favorite blog that isn’t yours, explain why it’s your favorite, and include a link to that blog
4. Answer 10 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
5. Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
6. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers.
7. Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
8. List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.)
9. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it.
Some of My Favorite Blogs
In keeping with the “new blogs” theme, I have to start by giving a shout out to a fellow newbie. One of my favorite new blogs is These Kids Be Trippin’. Jessica writes about homeschooling and travelling with her kids, and I always look forward to what she has to say! She completely cracks me up with her social media posts, and I love the helpful things she shares – from homeschool printables, to fun activities, to sales on camp chairs! I have four kids myself, and I firmly believe that every adventure is better with them along. It’s lovely to see someone who believes the same way, but also acknowledges that travelling with kids makes things a little more… unpredictable. Jessica is funny, encouraging, and real. Check her out!
As far as a blog that’s been around for a while, I would have to say my favorite is Hands Free Mama. Rachel Stafford writes about living life intentionally. She, like me, is a “recovering perfectionist”. I’m a die-hard Type A, who really loves a schedule and a good to-do list! The problem comes when things don’t go according to plan, and I give in to what Rachel calls my “inner drill sergeant”. I end up bullying myself and those around me in my desperate desire for control. Rachel encourages me to let that go, to focus more on what really matters. I own two of her books, and can honestly say that I’m a better mom and wife when I’ve been spending time reading them.
Ten Random Facts About Me
- I’ve always wanted to learn how to surf. Which is hard when you live in Nebraska!
- I love chocolate anything. Except chocolate milk and Tootsie Rolls.
- I’m always in the middle of reading at least four books.
- I desperately wanted to be a pig farmer when I was a kid.
- My favorite color is teal.
- I would love to live on an acreage in the mountains.
- I have a brown thumb, but I’m learning!
- I’m a huge night owl and by no means a morning person!
- I got married when I was only 19.
- I love the smell of coffee but can’t stand the flavor.
Melissa from Life’s Epic Journey asked me the following questions:
- Give a tip for other bloggers or potential bloggers. ~ Remember that it’s not a race or a competition. As I said earlier, blogging takes a LOT of time and work, and you just can’t compare yourself to anyone else. Breathe and try to enjoy the process, rather than shooting straight for results.
- Summer or Winter? ~ Can I say neither?! By far, Autumn is my favorite season. I love the way the air smells, the crunch of leaves underfoot, the flavors, the expectation of holidays coming up… everything.
- What inspired you to start your blog? ~ I’ve been a writer my whole life, but I’ve never really shared my writing with anyone before. I got to a place where I felt like I would burst if I couldn’t get some of my thoughts out, and at the same time I was beginning this journey of urban homesteading. It was the perfect time to start something new!
- If you had one superpower, what would it be and why? ~ I would love to be able to teleport. Years ago I read a book about a boy who could teleport, and it’s always stuck with me. I love to travel, and wish I could do it more often – without the expense of getting there!
- What is the one post, made by you, that you like most and why? ~ I’m going to cheat here and say a series of three posts I wrote, How To Build A Chicken Coop. You can’t imagine how much work went into those posts! From the actual building of the coop and writing down the steps as we went, to taking photos and videos, to typing it all up! It was great to finally see it materialized here!
- When you have writer’s block what do you do to work it out? ~ Start writing anyway. Even if what comes out is the dumbest thing anyone’s ever written, it usually gets the ball rolling. Then I can go back later and fix the awful parts!
- What is your favorite dish? ~ I love Italian. I’d have to say my favorite is Chicken Parmesan.
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful? ~ My family. I have four incredible kids and a husband who always supports me.
- What was the inspiration for the name of your blog? ~ I wanted to talk about homesteading, obviously, but I also wanted to emphasize the importance of family and home, and of our eternal Home in Heaven. It’s also the name of our homeschool (The Way Homeschool). I wrote more about it here.
- What do you think of selfie sticks? ~ I think they’re very useful when you have six people in your family and want a group shot without cutting off anyone’s head!
Jyneffer from Farming Momma asked me these questions:
- Do you have a favorite person in History that you enjoyed/enjoy learning about? ~ I don’t have a favorite person, but I do have a favorite period in time. I love the 1800s, the pioneer age! That era is so full of bravery, adventure, and self-sufficiency. I can’t get enough of it!
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold? ~ Too cold, because then I can wear jeans and pile on blankets!
- If you could be absolutely perfect in one area of life, what would that area be? ~ Follow through. I’m great at planning, but not so great at actually doing!
- Where is one place on your bucket list that you want to go someday? ~ A black sand beach. Again, this is from a book I read as a teenager!
- What makes you happiest? ~ Beauty; in nature, art, music, and life.
- What inspired to you start blogging? ~ See #3 above!
- Do you feel like you gain more momentum as you go, or do you feel you still have a ways to go before you’re satisfied with your writing? ~ I think there’s always room for improvement. I’d bet that even the most experienced writers look at a post and wish they had done something differently!
- Do you think there is a social media platform that could be more blogger friendly? ~ I do wish Instagram would let you post links.
- If you could convince the world of one thing through your blog, what would it be? ~ That it’s never too late to try something you’ve always wanted to do.
- How did you feel at first before launching your blog for the world to see? ~ Very nervous! Blogging exposes your innermost thoughts for the world to dive into, and it’s scary sometimes.
Blogs I’m Nominating
I would like to nominate the following writers and blogs for the Liebster Award:
Jessica at These Kids Be Trippin’
Alicia at Bountiful Broad
Jennifer Lee at Nearly Adequate
Emily at Daring to Adventure
Stacey at Waiting on Eden
Congratulations, ladies! I have enjoyed following all of you on Facebook and Instagram! You have encouraged me, taught me, and made me laugh. I’m so grateful for the new community that blogging has brought into my life! Below are your questions to answer.
Questions for Nominees
- What was your favorite vacation?
- How long have you been blogging?
- What are you most passionate about?
- If you had to change the topic of your blog, what would you write about instead?
- Who inspires you the most?
- What’s the one material item you can’t live without?
- Why did you choose your blog name?
- What’s something on your bucket list?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Do you have a life motto, or favorite quote?
I hope you’ve all enjoyed learning a little more about me! I’m so honored to have been given the Liebster Award, and I’m excited to pay it forward!